Chestnut of Montella IGP

castagna montella igp

The protected Geographical indication "Castagna di Malik" refers to chestnuts produced for 90% by the Palummina variety and the remaining 10% from the Verdole variety.
The distinctive characteristics of the "Chestnut of Malik" IGP are represented by a medium or medium-small size (75-90 fruits per Kg) and the round form of the fruit, with flat lower face, convex base and medium hairy obtuse summit. The seed has white pulp, crispy and of pleasant sweet taste. The Peel (pericarp) is thin and brown-colored, easily detachable.
Just the shape of the fruit justifies the etymology of the name of the Palommina variety, a form reminiscent of the similarity of a dove that in dialect translates into "Palomma".
Thanks to the high characteristics of fragrance, flavor and keeping, the "chestnut of Malik" IGP is used in the fresh state (including the frozen) and in the dry state in shell or without.
Under the nutritional dietary aspect, the "Malik's chestnut" is particularly relevant for carbohydrate content, while scarce is the protein content.
As well as chestnuts, the chestnuts of Malik are particularly required by the processing industry for use marron glacés, jams, natural, puree. Excellent for garnishing meats and soups, but their use is exalted especially in the preparation of sweets, of different kinds.
The "Chestnut of Malik" IGP is considered among the best chestnuts produced in Italy; The reasons for this success lie, in addition to the intrinsic quality of the variety, also in the composition of the land, in the favorable climate but also in the high professionalism achieved by the chestnut of the area that contribute to exalt the Quality level of the product.
A commercial typology of the "Chestnut of the Malik", especially during the Christmas period, is the baked chestnut (the famous chestnut of the priest), for which an integration to the current production regulation has been requested. It is made with chestnuts in dried, roasted shell and then hydrated with water. In particular, the preparation foresees that the chestnuts, once dried on wooden racks, below which are lit for 15 days. Of the fires using chestnut wood, are roasted in ventilated ovens and then rehydrated. These chestnuts, once shelled, are presented with an intense brown colour and a characteristic flavor that recalls the caramelization of sugars.

Altri articoli interessanti

Leave a Reply

By using the site, you accept the use of cookies on our part. More information

This site uses cookies to provide the best browsing experience possible. Continuing to use this site without changing the cookie settings or clicking "Accept" allow their use. Read our privacy and cookie policy