fbpx
Home > Trips> Naples > Archeological excavations of Herculaneum

Archeological excavations of Herculaneum

scavi di Ercolano
Archeological excavations of Herculaneum
 

[:it]The excavations of Herculaneum have an area of about 19 hectares. Its population perhaps was about 4,500 inhabitants. As early as the 4th century B.C., it is probable that the urban system included three Decumani and five hinges, now only partially visible. Interesting home construction and the fact that, unlike Pompeii, have preserved the rise of buildings and organic materials.

Herculaneum, with Pompeii and the villas of Oplontis, in 1997 was declared by UNESCO "World Heritage": With its remains offers a unique testimony to the world of life and the Roman society with plenty of details.

The research on the Villa of the papyri, sumptuous patrician residence with a sea front of 250 m, interrupted in 1765 resumed in 1996 with an excavation campaign that highlighted the district of the atrium and a lower floor, now open to the public on reservation. From the villa come more than a thousand rolls of papyrus, sculptures in marble and bronze and marble floors: In addition to the colonnaded portico towards the sea, grandiose was the peristyle, of 10 × 37 m, in the middle of which there was a large swimming pool.

Background

The eruption of 79 A.D. It has caused us to reach a whole city in its own forms imprinted by a catastrophe just completed: scoperchiati roofs, demolished walls, unhinged doors, statues, paraphernalia scattered everywhere, but all to a large extent recoverable or Recomposable as it ever happens in excavations conducted in other archaeological areas of the world. For all that has come to light in Herculaneum, from a conservative point of view, time seems not to be spent since the night of 79 until the time of discovery.

The very high temperatures developed by the eruption of Vesuvius have in fact determined to herculaneum a phenomenon of preservation absolutely original and to a large extent devoid of comparisons even in Pompeii itself. Herculaneum has returned the richest and most complete testimonies of the ancient world, referring also to the aspects and themes of everyday life and of the Roman Society (religion, home, clothing, furnishings): organic materials, charred, of all kinds, such as fabrics, papyrus, wood, edible, waxed tablets, all valuable sources of information for those daily aspects of Roman civilization.

In 1709, during the excavations of a well, the wall of the theatre scene was found. They began, practicing burrows in the ground, the first explorations. Regular excavations began in 1738 with Charles of Bourbon, always for tunnels.

After the finding of the theatre and the basilica, in 1752 it Paolo the Villa dei Papyri, so called for the rich library of Greek texts, today kept in the homonymous workshop of the National Library of Naples.

The works were suspended in 1790 preferring the simplest, open-air, Pompeii and Stabia. They resumed in 1828 with the technique of the earthwork and no longer that of the underground tunnels and the wells of descent. Another stage of open-air excavations was between 1869 and 1875.

The architect of the systematic excavation operation in the open air was Amedeo m who, between 1927 and 1958, brought to light the good part of the city towards the south, until the discovery of the ancient beach and the Temple of Venus; In the meantime, part of the Villa dei Papyri was also made open. In cavities destined to the storage of the boats, the so-called supplies, were found more than 250 skeletons of the inhabitants who had found refuge there waiting to be able to take the sea, once calmatesi the waters, and that here were instead surprised by the Burning Cloud.

Not to be missed

-The hinge III, the house of the skeleton, for the wall and floor decorations; -At the corner of the Decumanus Massimo is the seat of the Augustai (attendants of the ceremonies of worship in honor of the emperors) where The girders of the colonnade are visible and a half timbered frame in wood and stones; -The thermal baths, divided into male and female sections, decorated with mosaics and paintings; -House of the wooden building, from the two-storey outer prospectus perfectly preserved; -half-timbered house, simple dwelling with timber-framed walls and stones. -House of the mosaic atrium, with terrace overlooking the sea. -Casa Samnite, which preserves excellent style paintings; -House of Neptune and Amphitrite (so named for the subject of the mosaics of the summer Tricline), with adjoining Bottega well preserved; -In the maximum Decumanus, a wide road in beaten terrain, intended for pedestrian transit, lies the House of the Bicentennial (the excavations were completed in 1938), with a luxurious decorated tablinum and accessible upper floor; -On Hinge V, the house of the Corinthian atrium and an oven in excellent state of preservation; -The gym of Augustan age; -House of the deer, one of the richest in the city with decorations and terraces on the sea; -House of the relief of phone, also genteel -The suburban baths, near which the remains of the inhabitants were found; -From the entrance of the archaeological area, along the resin course, to the N. 23 There is access to the theatre, of the Augustan age and with 2500 seats. Still buried, it is reachable by a staircase of 72 steps dug into the solidified debris bank that covered the city.

How to arrive

The archaeological area is located at the extreme south-west slopes of Vesuvius, to the south of today's village, until 1969 called Resin. It is 14.8 km from Naples-Capodichino airport.  By car: Take the A3 Napoli-Salerno motorway and exit at Herculaneum. By train: The museum is 700 m from the station of the Circumvesuviana of Ercolano-excavations and 1.6 km from the portico-Ercolano station of the State railways. By bus: From Naples, bus 157 and trolleybus 255.

Opening hours

From 8.30 to 19.30 (April-October: Last admission hours 18.00) From 8.30 to 17.00 (November-March: Last entrance at 15.30) The excavations of Herculaneum have an area of about 19 hectares. Its population perhaps was about 4,500 inhabitants. As early as the 4th century B.C., it is probable that the urban system included three Decumani and five hinges, now only partially visible. Interesting home construction and the fact that, unlike Pompeii, have preserved the rise of buildings and organic materials.

Herculaneum, with Pompeii and the villas of Oplontis, in 1997 was declared by UNESCO "World Heritage": With its remains offers a unique testimony to the world of life and the Roman society with plenty of details.

The research on the Villa of the papyri, sumptuous patrician residence with a sea front of 250 m, interrupted in 1765 resumed in 1996 with an excavation campaign that highlighted the district of the atrium and a lower floor, now open to the public on reservation. From the villa come more than a thousand rolls of papyrus, sculptures in marble and bronze and marble floors: In addition to the colonnaded portico towards the sea, grandiose was the peristyle, of 10 × 37 m, in the middle of which there was a large swimming pool.

Background

The eruption of 79 A.D. It has caused us to reach a whole city in its own forms imprinted by a catastrophe just completed: scoperchiati roofs, demolished walls, unhinged doors, statues, paraphernalia scattered everywhere, but all to a large extent recoverable or Recomposable as it ever happens in excavations conducted in other archaeological areas of the world. For all that has come to light in Herculaneum, from a conservative point of view, time seems not to be spent since the night of 79 until the time of discovery.

The very high temperatures developed by the eruption of Vesuvius have in fact determined to herculaneum a phenomenon of preservation absolutely original and to a large extent devoid of comparisons even in Pompeii itself. Herculaneum has returned the richest and most complete testimonies of the ancient world, referring also to the aspects and themes of everyday life and of the Roman Society (religion, home, clothing, furnishings): organic materials, charred, of all kinds, such as fabrics, papyrus, wood, edible, waxed tablets, all valuable sources of information for those daily aspects of Roman civilization.

In 1709, during the excavations of a well, the wall of the theatre scene was found. They began, practicing burrows in the ground, the first explorations. Regular excavations began in 1738 with Charles of Bourbon, always for tunnels.

After the finding of the theatre and the basilica, in 1752 it Paolo the Villa dei Papyri, so called for the rich library of Greek texts, today kept in the homonymous workshop of the National Library of Naples.

The works were suspended in 1790 preferring the simplest, open-air, Pompeii and Stabia. They resumed in 1828 with the technique of the earthwork and no longer that of the underground tunnels and the wells of descent. Another stage of open-air excavations was between 1869 and 1875.

The architect of the systematic excavation operation in the open air was Amedeo m who, between 1927 and 1958, brought to light the good part of the city towards the south, until the discovery of the ancient beach and the Temple of Venus; In the meantime, part of the Villa dei Papyri was also made open. In cavities destined to the storage of the boats, the so-called supplies, were found more than 250 skeletons of the inhabitants who had found refuge there waiting to be able to take the sea, once calmatesi the waters, and that here were instead surprised by the Burning Cloud. Not to be missed -The hinge III, the house of the skeleton, for the wall and floor decorations; -At the corner of the Decumanus Massimo is the seat of the Augustai (attendants of the ceremonies of worship in honor of the emperors) where The girders of the colonnade are visible and a half timbered frame in wood and stones; -The thermal baths, divided into male and female sections, decorated with mosaics and paintings; -House of the wooden building, from the two-storey outer prospectus perfectly preserved; -half-timbered house, simple dwelling with timber-framed walls and stones. -House of the mosaic atrium, with terrace overlooking the sea. -Casa Samnite, which preserves excellent style paintings; -House of Neptune and Amphitrite (so named for the subject of the mosaics of the summer Tricline), with adjoining Bottega well preserved; -In the maximum Decumanus, a wide road in beaten terrain, intended for pedestrian transit, lies the House of the Bicentennial (the excavations were completed in 1938), with a luxurious decorated tablinum and accessible upper floor; -On Hinge V, the house of the Corinthian atrium and an oven in excellent state of preservation; -The gym of Augustan age; -House of the deer, one of the richest in the city with decorations and terraces on the sea; -House of the relief of phone, also genteel -The suburban baths, near which the remains of the inhabitants were found; -From the entrance of the archaeological area, along the resin course, to the N. 23 There is access to the theatre, of the Augustan age and with 2500 seats. Still buried, it is reachable by a staircase of 72 steps dug into the solidified debris bank that covered the city.

How to arrive The archaeological area is located at the extreme south-west slopes of Vesuvius, to the south of today's village, until 1969 called Resin. It is 14.8 km from Naples-Capodichino airport.  By car: Take the A3 Napoli-Salerno motorway and exit at Herculaneum. By train: The museum is 700 m from the station of the Circumvesuviana of Ercolano-excavations and 1.6 km from the portico-Ercolano station of the State railways. By bus: From Naples, bus 157 and trolleybus 255.

Opening hours From 8.30 to 19.30 (April-October: Last admission hours 18.00) From 8.30 to 17.00 (November-March: Last entry at 15.30)[:]

You can send your inquiry via the form below.

Advertising

Video of the month, the Cilento

Looking for visibility?

Most read articles

Advertising